Action Potentials Extended Contents
- Introduction: Sensing Pain
- Section 1. Neurons Communicate
Neurons rapidly transmit information over long distances in a series of electrical pulses called action potentials.
- Section 2. Neurons and Electricity
Membrane voltage changes in response to ions that move through special pores in the cell membrane called ion channels.
- Section 3. Voltage-Gated Ion Channels
The action potential is generated by the movement of sodium and potassium ions across the cell membrane through special voltage-gated ion channels.
- Section 4. Action Potentials Challenge
An experimental section for further exploration of action potentials.
- Section 5. Graded Questions