SimBio is a leading developer of innovative educational software used world-wide in college biology courses. We are re-engineering our popular products for a web-based environment and are seeking a Database Administrator/Architect to join our Software Development Team. This position will involve designing databases based on application requirements; administering all aspects of production and test databases; and monitoring performance and stability of database environments.
SimBio is a small but growing company (currently 25 employees) based out of scenic Missoula, Montana. The key to our success is attributable to the collection of people behind our products. Being 100% employee-owned, our people (“SimBiots”) always come first! Work-life balance is promoted through generous vacation and flex time, flexible work schedules, and the option for hybrid or remote work. If you are confident in your abilities and open to input, like working autonomously and as part of a high-functioning team, appreciate knowing your work is valued and impactful, and think laughter is good medicine, you will fit right in!
Start date: ASAP
Education and Experience (Required):
- Bachelor’s degree in CS/related field
- 5+ years of experience using MySQL (preferred) or Oracle
- Ability to normalize application data into sound database table design
- Proficiency with failover/standby administration, including backup/recovery
- Proficiency with SQL (both DDL and DML)
- Familiarity with ACID concepts such as transaction isolation
Preferred Additional Knowledge and Skills:
- Proficiency in Java used to interact with databases
- Experience using ORM frameworks (Hibernate preferred)
- Experience doing performance and volume testing
Strong candidates will be:
- Self-motivated, hard-working, and dedicated to excellence
- Productive without frequent direction but comfortable seeking input when tasks or requirements are unclear
- Great team members, able to communicate and work constructively and efficiently with colleagues
Compensation and Hours:
- Full-time, salaried position
- Compensation commensurate with skills and experience
- Position includes health insurance and retirement benefits, generous vacation time, and a flexible work schedule
- Participation in SimBio’s Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- Being part of a great company making a positive impact on STEM education – your work will make a difference!
All applications must be submitted through the following resume management service: http://simbio.submittable.com/submit. Please be prepared to upload a current resume and a cover letter with links to work examples. Please direct any inquiries about this position to email@example.com.